Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A mouse in the house ...

So a couple of weeks ago or so, Dirk (my 7 year old) said "I just saw a mouse" in the kitchen. Dirk is actually a darn good wildlife spotter (takes after his mother) ... but I wasn't sure until later that night, my wife Wendy screeched - the last time I heard that was when we had a bat in the house - so yeah, there is a furry critter around. I thought maybe he would go away, but even I saw him two days later ... so my wife then picked up a couple of victor rat traps.

I said lets wait until he shows up again, so needless to say, we didn't see him for over a week. But I just went downstairs to finish up the dishes, and I see him scurrying across the kitchen. So I start the dishwasher, unwrap the two traps, put some peanut butter on them, and place 'em on the floor next to the cabinets.

Not even five minutes later, I hear a SNAP ... and lets just say that mouse won't be making any more appearances around the house. I asked Wendy if I should re-use the trap ... she said my decision, but said they are two for a dollar ... so I decided it was a one-time use. I left the other one out in case there are more than one - it has been 15 minutes and no SNAP yet.

Update: So several hours later that night, I heard another SNAP ... and mouse #2 is history. I told my wife that I guess we need to buy a few more mouse traps in case any others are around. Here's a picture of the black hat rat.

3 Comments:

Blogger KC said...

woo! Cool story, but you gotta love those Texans - http://www.komar.org/faq/hunting_rats/stories/margie.html - she didn't provide any pics?

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like he wasn't skipping any meals. :)

Friday, February 17, 2006 2:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHHH for some awful reason I felt necessary to read your bat stories, and I about peed my pants! I didn't know they seriously had fangs like that! OMGGGGGGG~!!@#$$#@

Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home